Frankie gets to rant all the time, so it’s my turn!!
Everyone knows I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to grammar and spelling. Although I am far from perfect, I have noticed there is a HUGE apostrophe problem in Nova Scotia! When it comes to pluralization, it’s out of control!!!!
Let’s take this sign for example.
It should be “inquiries”.
This one is really brutal – “yours” does not have an apostrophe!
What is up with people thinking the apostrophe should be used to make something plural? The apostrophe “s” denotes ownership of something. This would be correct if it was saying “The panini’s bread” but if you are talking about more than 1 panini, it’s paninis – no apostrophe! (I won’t even get into the fact panini is Italian for sandwiches, panino is singular so when you order a “panini” you are ordering sandwiches….anyway)
As for spelling, that’s another issue.
In this country, savour is spelled with a “u”.
Again, wrong. The proper spelling: asparagus.
This is one word that is chronically misspelled! It’s caesar!
In her book, 1001 More Ways to Reveal Your Personality, Elayne J. Kahn says how you open your Christmas gifts can reveal your personality.
- If You Open Your Cards First you are thoughtful and considerate. You are not an impulsive shopper and you care deeply about what other people think about you. Sometimes you end up caring too much and getting hurt yourself.
- If You Tear Your Gifts Open you are enthusiastic, aggressive and impatient. You are truly a kid at heart and love to party.
- If You Are A “Detective” Who Shakes Their Gifts First you are dramatic and love being the center of attention. People love the way you tell stories.
- If You Are A “Busybody” Who Checks Out Everyone Else’s Gifts you are insecure and a worry-wort. When you buy for others you are generous and conscientious. You are very well liked among your friends even though you do not think so.
- If You Are An “Exhibitionist” Who Parades Their Gifts Around To Everyone you love to entertain, make people laugh and enjoy being at the center of everyone’s attention.
- If You Are A Private Opener you sometimes hide your feelings and emotions from others and you hate being caught off-guard or letting your real emotions show.